Best Trampoline in 2017 to Help Your Kids Reach New Heights
For little tots, the appeal of trampolines is almost primal. Sure, teens and adults enjoy it jumping on trampolines as well, and it’s a great fitness and rehab option. But it’s mainly a piece of equipment that gives you sheer fun.
Getting high up in the air is a joy for kids because it allows them to look down (literally speaking, not figuratively) on the people they’ve looked up to for so long. It’s a heady experience, especially when you add the freedom and the feeling of weightlessness that comes after each jump.
Parents love it too, since their kids can have an outlet for their almost boundless energy. It’s also a healthier activity than just sitting on a couch playing video games on a tablet or smartphone. Besides, it’s also a bonding activity that parents can enjoy with their children since it’s never a good idea to let toddlers use trampolines alone.
It’s also safe, despite the many horror stories you may read in the news. You just need to follow commonsense safety rules and you’re good to go. It’s certainly at least as safe as riding a bike.
Of course, you also need to make sure that you choose a safe and durable trampoline.
Best Mini Trampolines for Your Energetic Kids
Here are 8 terrific options if you’re looking for the best trampoline for kids and toddlers:
- Best Mini Trampolines for Your Energetic Kids
- 1. Sportspower My First Trampoline 84”
- 2. Skywalker Rectangle Trampoline and Enclosure
- 3. SkyBound Super 7 Perfect Kids’ Trampoline
- 4. SkyBound Stratos Trampoline with Full Enclosure Net
- 5. Little Tikes 3-Feet Trampoline
- 6. Zupapa TUV Approved Trampoline with Enclosure Net, Pole, and Safety Pad
- 7. Skywalker 15-Feet Round Trampoline and Enclosure with Spring Pad
- 8. Stamina 36-Inch Folding Trampoline
- How to Choose the Best Trampoline for Toddlers and Kids
- Safety Rules to Follow
1. Sportspower My First Trampoline 84”
Suitable For: Kids up to 6 years old
Even at first glance this trampoline is obviously for very young kids, because it’s colorful and cute. It also has a weight limit of just 100 pounds, so it’s not for much older children.
At least it does have safety features that can help make sure that the little tykes don’t hurt themselves. The most obvious safety feature is the enclosure net around the jumping surface. There are also foam padding around the frame, the springs, and even on the net support poles. In addition, it matches or exceeds the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) safety standards.
With the net, it means that this can be used outdoors as well as indoors. The jumping surface is UV-resistant too. Also, the steel frame isn’t just durable (it’s made of high-grade fully-reinforced galvanized steel). It’s also extremely resistant to corrosion.
What's Great About It: It’s fun to use and it looks fun. But what you’ll love is that for an additional fee you can have it properly assembled for you, so that you know for a fact that it’s done right. For parents who hate DIY assembly work, this is a godsend.
2. Skywalker Rectangle Trampoline and Enclosure
Suitable For: Both kids and adults (if they’re not too heavy)
This one offers a much bigger jumping surface. This means it’s great for adults too as well as for kids who can’t seem to jump straight out and down. It’s large and it comes with a net, so this is mainly for outdoor use.
It offers lots of safety features, including thick padding around the springs and frame, a no-gap enclosure system so there aren’t spaces for legs to go through (the springs are located outside the netting), and the support poles are nowhere near the netting so that the kids don’t bump into the poles. The net comes with a dual zipper and latch enclosure so the netting is secure all around
It’s also very durable. The springs and frame are resistant to rust, and the padding is resistant to UV rays. The poles also come with a cap so that the net is securely attached.
This comes with a large rectangular design, and the springs offer a lot of bounce that gymnasts will appreciate.
What's Great About It: What’s great about this is that once the kids are done playing, you can then do your own jumping. The springs can handle up to 200 pounds so you can use it as long as you’re not too big. The springs are also quite bouncy so you can really fly high.
Don’t worry too much about the kids bouncing around. This trampoline also matches and exceeds the safety standards set by the ASTM. With its large size, kids can land safely on the jumping surface even if they dint jump straight up.
3. SkyBound Super 7 Perfect Kids’ Trampoline
Suitable For: Kids ages 3 to 10 years old
Here’s another colorful trampoline for tots, as its weight limit is just 105 pounds. It’s good for outdoor use as it has netting all around. It offers ample space for kids to jump around, but it’s not too big so you can also use this indoors. The legs are made of sturdy steel, but they’re covered in plastic shells so that you don’t damage the carpet or hardwood floors.
For safety, the premium net also comes with a heavy duty dual zipper. It uses thick padding for the springs and the frame, and the frame is also encased in plastic. It also passes the ASTM standards, so you have 3rd-party confirmation that it’s actually safe to use.
This is very durable as well. It uses galvanized steel for the frame and even for the springs. That means everything here is corrosion-resistant.
What's Great About It: It’s fun all around, as it looks fun with the bright colors, the springs are bouncy, and there are lots of space to jump around. It’s also fun for parents because they don’t have to worry about safety. The real fun for many is that there’s also an option (for an extra fee) for this trampoline to be assembled by an expert. If you don’t have any handyman skills at all, the convenience for that is certainly worth the expense.
4. SkyBound Stratos Trampoline with Full Enclosure Net
Suitable For: Kids and parents (even heavy adults)
This is a large outdoor trampoline that can be used by kids and parents, as the weight limit is 330 pounds. Even heavy adults should have no fear as the galvanized frame used here is rated highly for durability and strength. The frame even comes with a 10-year warranty, which is quite long for the industry.
What you’ll notice is that the netting flares outwards at the top, while the 12support poles curve outwards. The result is that there’s no way that your kids can hurt themselves on the support poles when they do get into contact with the netting. The springs are also outside the netting as well.
It comes with thick pads around just about everything. Everything’s also UV and corrosion-resistant. It also uses 6 W-shaped legs for heavy duty use. It matches and exceeds ASTM standards as well.
What's Great About It: This is extremely stable, as it uses a lot of support poles (12 instead of the usual 8) and the poles aren’t touching the netting at all. It’s great for adults too, even if they’re carrying a bit too many pounds.
Adults will also love the fact that they can assemble this Skybound trampoline themselves with no trouble at all. It uses a special “Lightning-Quick” installation system that involves precise machine welding and pushpin bolt technology. You won’t need to use any assembly tools at all, as there are no screws, nuts and bolts, washers, or brackets to put together.
5. Little Tikes 3-Feet Trampoline
Suitable For: Kids ages 3 to 6 years old
Very young kids can start to enjoy the fun of jumping around even indoors, as this small trampoline from Little Tikes demonstrates. This is just for little kids, as the weight limit is just for 55 pounds.
It’s meant to be used indoors, and there’s no netting. It’s not really needed, as they have a handlebar to hold on to so they can jump safely. They can still hold on to the handlebar even as they’re in the air.
The space is actually large enough so that they don’t really have to jump very straight every time. Yet it’s small enough even for cramped apartments. You can just place this in front of the TV so you and your kid can enjoy your favorite shows together. The legs have large non-slip rubber caps at the end for stability and to protect the floor from damage.
It’s made of metal and plastic, and the assembly is not a problem. It should take you no more than 15 minutes to attach the handle and legs. There are no springs to attach. It’s very durable and it uses elastic webbing.
What's Great About It: It’s very light and compact, so you can bring it with you to any part of the house with no trouble at all. It’s durable too, so your kids will definitely outlast this. Your kids will have many hours of use for this in front of TV, day in and day out.
6. Zupapa TUV Approved Trampoline with Enclosure Net, Pole, and Safety Pad
Suitable For: Kids and adults
German engineering is one of the best in the world, and it applies to their trampolines as well. Or at least it applies to the German Zupapa brand, as this large outdoor trampoline aptly demonstrates.
Even the customer service is superb, though it’s probably because they don’t get too many complaints in the first place. If a part is damaged they’ll replace it, and then they’ll give you some advice so that the part won’t get damaged in the first place.
Every component in the trampoline is of premium quality. The design is typically German—precise and superb. Both the padding and the jumping mat are UV resistant. All the metal parts are covered well and they’re all rust-resistant. You have lengthy warranty periods for all parts. The weight limit is 330 pounds
It also comes with lots of safety features. It’s also been approved by the independent German safety group TUV. The durability of course adds to the safety. The padding is extremely thick and the net is very sturdy so that you don’t get hurt too much and you really reduce the risk of injury.
What's Great About It: Aside from the high safety and durability standards, this Zupapa also sets the bar for just how much fun a trampoline can be. Using this can be addictive, and lots of older teens and parents like to use it too. It’s not uncommon for this to be used on a daily basis.
7. Skywalker 15-Feet Round Trampoline and Enclosure with Spring Pad
Suitable For: Kids and adults
This is an extremely well-made trampoline, and it may even be better than the product ad description. It says that the weight limit is 200 pounds, but that’s a very conservative estimate. I know that for sure since the combined weight of me and my kids is more than 200 pounds.
While it’s big enough for adults, the colors are appealing even for children. It’s very enticing, and it seems to beckon you to use it. It’s perfectly safe, as the netting is sturdy and it goes up to a height of more than 9 feet. The net doesn’t touch the support poles, so there’s no risk of bumping into something hard. The net doesn’t even use rope to attach to the jump mat as it uses a buttonhole feature instead.
The springs are padded and there aren’t any gaps for legs to go through. It really helps that the springs are also located outside the net.
It’s extremely durable, as it uses heavy-gauge steel galvanized for corrosion resistance. It’s supported by reinforced T-sockets that keep the components from twisting. For stability, the 6 legs use a firm W-shape design.
What's Great About It: It’s a very solid and well-designed trampoline, so both safety and durability issues are all addressed properly. With its large jump surface, it’s lots of fun for everyone. Meanwhile, if you’re a parent you’ll also enjoy the sense of relief knowing that your kids will be safe using this. The fact that it’s so durable that it will last for many years doesn’t hurt either.
8. Stamina 36-Inch Folding Trampoline
Suitable For: Older teens and adults
This one isn’t really for kids, but after reading all these trampolines for tots the adults may want something for their own use. This is a trampoline that you can use indoors, and you can tell yourself that it’s not just for fun. It’s for exercise too. The workout is actually called rebound training, and you can find a lot of demo videos online.
This is a durable trampoline, as it uses an all-steel frame along with a safety pad. It uses a heavy-duty rebounding surface, and it doesn’t use springs. It uses 30 bands for tension resistance, and each band is 2 inches wide. The weight limit is 250 pounds
Storage after you’re done isn’t a problem as well. You can fold this trampoline after you use it and the legs are detachable as well. It’s also very light so it’s no trouble carrying it to where you want to put it.
What's Great About It: As you can see, the fun here is in the workout. More accurately, it’s in the health benefits you get with rebound training. You boost circulation, lower your cholesterol levels, boost your metabolism to help you lose weight, and also enhance your coordination.
What’s more, you can exercise in a way that’s actually fun, and that’s not something you can say about other workout equipment. With this, you can work out in front of the TV or even in the workplace.
How to Choose the Best Trampoline for Toddlers and Kids
Price shouldn’t be the only consideration when you buy trampolines, especially if they’re for kids. Here are the most important factors to consider when you want to buy a trampoline for toddlers and you’re reading various customer reviews and product features.
- Weight limit. This is a very handy way to check the appropriate age limit for the trampoline. Trampolines designed for very young children often set a weight limit of about 100 pounds. When the limit goes for more than 200 pounds, it can be used by adults too. This can save you money when you’re tempted to buy a trampoline when you see how much fun your kids are having.
- Safety features. At the very least you need sufficient padding on all the hard places that your kids may possible land on. Outdoor trampolines should have netting around the jumping surface. Indoor trampoline for very little kids should have a handle bar so that they can make sure to jump in the right place.
- Durability. This adds to the safety factor, because obviously you don’t want a trampoline to suddenly collapse while your baby is using it. You need a very sturdy frame at the very least. Also, the padding should stay in place.
A durable trampoline also saves you money because you won’t have to buy another one so soon after getting a trampoline. So for outdoor trampolines, you should check for weatherproof frames and UV resistant materials.
- Ease of Assembly. Most trampolines have to be assembled first, and it can be a nightmare for DIY-averse parents.
- Upkeep. It would be nice if they can be stored away easily when you’re not going to use it for a while.
- Fun factor. This is a combination of many features, such as the bounce of the trampoline and the attractive colors and design. The main thing here is that it should look fun so kids are excited to use it, and it should actually be fun so they don’t get bored in a hurry. The wrong trampoline may just join the other unloved toys and board games in the attic!
Safety Rules to Follow
Even the safest and most durable trampolines for children can be dangerous if they’re not used properly. So in addition to buying the most suitable trampolines for kids, you also have to know and follow these safety rules:
- Kids shouldn’t use the trampoline without adult supervision. That’s why you should take away the ladder when you’re not around, so that very little kids can’t go up on the trampoline on their own. At least when I’m around, I can make sure that my kids follow the safety rules.
- Set up the trampolines away from other play areas. It should also be away from other structures and away from trees. There should be free space all around it instead.
- Always check on it before the kids use it. You never know—some component of the trampoline may have been damaged before. Check to see that the leg braces and the springs are secure. The shock-absorbing pads must cover the frame, hook, and springs completely and securely.
- Only one person at a time should use the trampoline. Crashing into another person can cause injuries.
- No one should do somersaults or flips. That’s another way to get injured.
- No one jumps onto or off from the trampoline. It’s better if you help them to step on and off the trampoline instead.
- Kids should use the netting as a bouncing board. The nets are meant to safeguard the children in case they don’t jump straight up. They’re not meant to bounce from.
Follow these rules and everything should be okay. Are trampolines risky? Sure they are, but then so are bikes and skateboards. The same is true for sports like basketball and baseball. Unless you’re determined to imprison your children in a bubble throughout their lives, you can’t change that fact.
What you can do, however, is to teach about proper safety and avoiding unnecessary risk. When they learn the value of trampoline safety, they can apply the same basic lessons for every activity they try for the rest of their lives.
Trampolines can be a fun way to exercise for children, and it’s a great alternative to video games. It’s also a fun way to bond and share an enjoyable experience with your kids. It’s safe too, as long as you and your kids obey the safety rules and you buy a safe and durable trampoline for your little tot.
It’s even great exercise, and many adults do in fact use trampolines to workout. It’s great exercise for children as well, and children have a fun way to vent all their restless energy.
Still, it all comes down to the fun factor. It’s what you will notice most when you’re up in the air!