Ukuleles have become very popular in recent years. They are a great starting point for children who want to learn a stringed instrument, but don’t want to play the guitar.
If your kids have ever shown a passion for a stringed instrument, then a ukulele is the perfect is the instrument for them. This is similar to a guitar both in structure and how it works to produce beautiful sounds. However, it is smaller in size than a guitar, easier to learn, and made for kids’ small hands. Generally, it can help kids learn the skill of playing a stringed instrument early and they can keep developing their skill as they grow.
Not only is playing the ukulele a creative and engaging hobby for your children, it can also help them develop important skills that can benefit them in other areas of their lives.
Because the ukulele is small, it is the ideal instrument for children, and they are renowned for being inexpensive. Whether your child is just started out or you are looking to upgrade your child’s current ukulele, I have compiled a list of ukuleles to get you started.
Not sure what to look for when purchasing a ukulele? Follow my complete step-by-step buying guide to ukuleles to help you make an educated decision when looking for the perfect instrument for your child.
Top 5 Ukuleles to Get Your Child This Year
Ready to introduce your child to the wonderful world of music? To get you started, here are my top five ukuleles that are specially designed for children.
Waterman Soprano Ukulele
Rainbow Soprano Ukulele
Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
Tattoo Concert Ukulele
Ukulele Startup Package
Soprano Ukulele Beginner Pack
HM-21PK Ukulele Bundle
Kmise Soprano Professional Ukulele
ADM Soprano Ukulele
POMAIKAI Soprano Ukulele
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Ukuleles to Get Your Child This Year
- 1. Kala Makala Waterman Soprano Ukulele
- 2. Mahalo MR1PP Rainbow Soprano Ukulele
- 3. Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
- 4. Luna Mahogany Series Tattoo Concert Ukulele
- 5. Kala KA-T Mahogany Tenor Ukulele Startup Package
- 6. Everjoys Soprano Ukulele Beginner Pack
- 7. Hola! Music HM-21PK Ukulele Bundle
- 8. Kmise Soprano Professional Ukulele
- 9. ADM Soprano Ukulele
- 10. POMAIKAI Soprano Ukulele
- 11. Kids Musical Ukulele Classical Toy
- 12. HUAWIND Soprano Ukulele
- 13. Kadence Wanderer Series Soprano Ukulele
- 14. Donner Soprano Ukulele
- 15. Ieco Soprano Ukulele
- A Quick Buying Guide on Picking a Suitable Kids’ Ukulele
- Types of Ukulele
1. Kala Makala Waterman Soprano Ukulele
Inspired by the 1950s Maccaferri design, Kala is the market-leading ukulele brand and a go-to for ukulele players around the world. Specifically designed for children, the Kala Makala Waterman is produced using high-density Polycarbonate plastics, which may be a bit unusual but offers many benefits.
Not only does the build ensure that the ukulele is waterproof, it’s also extremely lightweight. The smooth plastic body allows for easy cleaning and this ukulele is ideal for outdoor use. The four strings are made from highly durable Nylon materials that are thick enough to last, but thin enough for beginners to play with ease.
What’s Great About It: The tuners are very durable due to their nickel plating, and the ukulele comes with a uniquely branded travel bag, so your ukulele is safe and protected at all times. This ukulele is ideal for players of all ages, but is specifically designed with children in mind.
2. Mahalo MR1PP Rainbow Soprano Ukulele
An extremely lightweight ukulele, the MR1PP is an updated design of one of the world’s most popular ukuleles from the same brand. Available in a variety of colors, this is ideal for children looking for a ukulele to fit their personality. This Soprano style ukulele is made from the highest quality Sengon wood which is crafted to create this beautiful instrument.
The bridge is made from high-density mahogany, making it incredibly durable, which is perfect for kids. The dolphin-styled, gold-plated machine heads and revolutionary Aquila strings are the leading attributes of this carefully designed ukulele. The bridge also boasts an innovative NUBONE XB bridge saddle, which maximizes comfort when playing. This set includes a travel bag to protect your ukulele when transporting it.
What’s Great About It: This is the perfect ukulele for beginners or experienced players alike, producing a beautiful sound while still being great value for money.
3. Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
This ukulele boasts superior quality and is built to last. Made using the highest-quality mahogany for both the body and the neck, the durability of this ukulele is outstanding. The neck has 12 brass frets with bonus fret positions located on the 5th, 7th and 10th frets, making this ukulele ideal for beginners who want to learn chords.
The fingerboard and bridge are made using high-density Rosewood, and the professional satin finish gives this ukulele the classic appearance your children will love. Each top quality Aquila string is fitted with a highly-polished geared tuner, allowing your children to experiment with different sounds from their ukulele.
What’s Great About It: The KA-15S is available in a variety of styles, so your child can find the perfect ukulele to match their personality. Ideal for both beginners and experienced players, this lightweight solution is expertly designed for optimal sound and play-ability, while remaining suitable for most budgets.
4. Luna Mahogany Series Tattoo Concert Ukulele
This stunning mahogany design is purpose built with children in mind, but is ideal for players of all ages and experience levels. The 23-Inch body is slightly larger than the other Soprano-style builds on my list, so your child will grow into it.
One of the heaviest ukuleles in this list, the neck, back and sides of this ukulele are made using high-quality mahogany, making it incredibly durable, and the top is made using solid spruce. This helps to create a high-quality instrument that is built to last; maximizing its resistance against the inevitable knocks it will receive from day to day use.
What’s Great About It: The spruce wood top proudly displays a gorgeous Heart song rosette, giving this ukulele a unique charm and personality. This ukulele is one of the more expensive options on this list, but when you consider the durability, play-ability and high-quality construction, you won’t need to spend a cent more on upgrading it.
5. Kala KA-T Mahogany Tenor Ukulele Startup Package
This complete start-up kit has everything you need to introduce your child to the musical world of ukuleles. This superior quality instrument is produced using high-density mahogany on the body and neck which is connected to a beautiful Rosewood fingerboard.
The fingerboard boasts 15+ brass fret boards with four fret locations marked out to make it easier for your child to learn finger positioning and chords. Each durable string is topped with a polished geared tuner, allowing your child to completely customize their style of play.
Using traditional white binding, this ukulele has the look and feel of a professional ukulele, and incorporates all of the modern day features you would expect on this instrument.
What’s Great About It: With this ukulele set you will receive a travel bag that will guarantee the safety of the ukulele while transporting it. You also receive a clip-on tuner, a polishing cloth and an instructional DVD to help your child get started.
For Endless Sing-along Fun: The Best Karaoke Machines for Most Kids
6. Everjoys Soprano Ukulele Beginner Pack
This ukulele is made with the highest level of craftsmanship to kids learn how to play amazing sounds fast and in a fun way. This starter’s pack boast of a 21-inch-long ukulele, a digital tuner, multi-color strings, a strap, a playbook, a carrying bag and so much more. The body, neck, and finger board are made of basswood, solid wood, and blackwood respectively.
- It is durable.
- It is easy to learn.
- It includes all necessary kits to start using immediately.
- It is affordable.
- It can crack when exposed to sun too frequently.
7. Hola! Music HM-21PK Ukulele Bundle
When it comes to clear, sharp, and quality sound, this ukulele stands out, all thanks to the aquila super nylgut strings. In this case, the body, bridge, and fingerboard are made of maple and walnut wood respectively. There are up to ten color variants to select from, so your kid would always have their favorite color to pick.
- It comes with two months free online lessons.
- It also comes with a tote bag, and strap to carry around.
- It is right-hand oriented.
- It is easy to learn for both practice and playing.
- Re-stringing may be a bit hard because of the nylon strings.
8. Kmise Soprano Professional Ukulele
An ukulele such as this is very special and highly advanced. This model comes with a gear tuning machine, free online lessons, a strap, a carry bag, and a replacement string. In addition, the body is made of mahogany which a hardwood. Its nylon strings come pre-tuned to the best note possible.
- Access to a lifetime string replacement automatically.
- The strings are carefully pre-tuned for beginners to play it.
- The tuner is made of high-quality copper.
- There are no color variants; not all kids may like this color.
9. ADM Soprano Ukulele
Starting from the free online lesson kit, to a strap, and a carry bag this unit is well-packed with accessories. And, there are four strings to help you play and produce your favorite sound.
- The strings are well-polished would never hurt a beginner when playing.
- There are twelve nickel silver frets for tuning the ukulele.
- It is a comprehensive kit with all that you may need as a beginner.
- As usual, the strings are made of nylon which could make it hard to tune.
10. POMAIKAI Soprano Ukulele
The body of this unit is made of basswood while the four strings are made of nylon. There are 12 frets with fretwires strung to the hardwood fingerboard. It is especially good for playing Hawaiian tunes. These strings are harmless and would not hurt a kid or beginner’s hand when tuning.
- It comes with a carry bag.
- There are five color variants.
- It comes with a 15-tune gear tuning machine.
- It does not come with a strap.
11. Kids Musical Ukulele Classical Toy
It is lightweight with four adjustable strings to produce sweet sounds. Unlike others, it made of ABS plastic but still totally safe for kids to play with. To cap it all, a 16-hole harmonica comes with it when you order for this ukulele.
- It is very affordable and highly functional.
- It is smaller in size than most of its counterparts.
- It is strong and rugged despite being made of plastic.
- It does not come with a bag or strap.
12. HUAWIND Soprano Ukulele
With eight color variants, this unit will blow away any kid. The body is made of basswood while the string is made of nylon as usual. There is a gig bag to carry it around and store it away when not in use.
- The overall build quality is superior and the finishing is eco-friendly.
- There is a 60-day money back guarantee on every unit bought.
- It is perfect for both beginners and experienced players.
- It is expensive and comes with no strap.
13. Kadence Wanderer Series Soprano Ukulele
This is another power-packed ukulele with every accessory included in the kit. Bag, tuner, strap, capo, and picks all come with this unit. The fretboard is made of rosewood while the main body is made of mahogany for durability.
- It comes with extra accessories like the capo and picks which are not found in many others.
- It is carefully crafted with polished finishing.
- It is easy to tune without over stretching the wrist.
- It does not have color variants
- It is expensive.
14. Donner Soprano Ukulele
One obvious feature about this ukulele is its diverse color variants. Furthermore, there are all the necessary accessories attached to it. These accessories help to make the playing experience and string tuning better. Similar to others, it comes with a free online course.
- The body is made of strong maple and finished with paint.
- The tuners are made of silver-chrome and durable.
- It has fret position marks at the 5th, 7th, and 10th frets.
- It is one of the most expensive ukulele out there.
15. Ieco Soprano Ukulele
This is one of the best ukulele for kids in the market now. With six color variants, every kid is bound to find their preferred. The body is made of basswood, and the string is made of nylon. It comes with a carry bag, strap, picks, and a tuner.
- It comes with a playbook to master playing it.
- There is an extra string just in case one of the four cuts.
- The overall sound quality is great.
- When new, extra effort is required to tune it properly
A Quick Buying Guide on Picking a Suitable Kids’ Ukulele
Trying to buy the perfect ukulele for your child can be very tricky. There are so many different styles and brands to look at, that you can become overwhelmed very quickly.
To allow you to make the best decision, follow my complete buying guide below to ensure you make the best decision for your child.
Types of Ukulele
When shopping for the ideal ukulele, you will need to know the different types available. You can use the points below to differentiate between them.
- Soprano – 21 Inches – Renowned as being the traditional ukulele size, this is ideal for younger children who are just starting out.
- Concert – 23 Inches – Slightly larger than the Soprano, the sound produced from this kind of ukulele is louder and slightly deeper than the Soprano.
- Tenor – 26 Inches – This is the ideal ukulele for children who have been playing for some time. It produces a much deeper sound than a Soprano and boasts a large fingerboard, making it easier to play chords.
- Baritone – 30 Inches – This is the biggest variation of ukulele, which produces a deep bass sound. The sound is very similar to the strings of a guitar, making this a great transition instrument.
With the information above in mind, match your child’s current skill to the type of ukulele. For younger children and beginners, it’s recommended that you select a Soprano or Concert ukulele.
The material of your ukulele will determine its quality. Plastic ukuleles are relatively uncommon, but produce bright sound and are easy to care for. This is great for beginners, but it’s worth noting that these ukuleles are more brittle than wooden ukuleles, so they will need extra care when being played and transported.
Wood is the traditional material used for ukuleles, and the recommended material to look for is mahogany or spruce wood. These are high-quality woods that create durable ukuleles that will last as your child uses it. These types of ukuleles produce a traditional sound, and are very resistant to the knocks experienced from everyday use.
The ukulele is relatively easy to learn and is a lot simpler than other instruments. Because of its small size, children can focus on learning how to play, rather than struggling with holding techniques. Another way you can make playing simpler for your child is by investing in a ukulele that is specifically designed for beginners.
This means the ukulele may have an extended fingerboard, giving your child more space to place to their fingers when playing chords. The fingerboard can also be marked with fret locations using white stickers or markers. Not all ukuleles will have these markings, so it’s always advised that you check before purchasing.
More Music for Your Kids: What’s the Best Drum Set for Children?
There are three main shape variations to choose from when selecting a ukulele.
Guitar: This is the most popular and most traditional ukulele shape. It’s very similar to a guitar’s shape, and has the famed ‘dip’, known as a waist, in the middle of the body.
Pineapple: Originally produced in Hawaii, this shape was first adopted by the Kamaka Ukulele Company, and is now used all over the world. The design is made so the body of the ukulele is completely rounded and has no waist.
Boat Paddle: As the name suggests, this ukulele design resembles a boat paddle, and is the most uncommon ukulele shape.
The most recommended shape for children and beginners is the Guitar design. This enables your child to naturally hold the ukulele comfortably.
While trying to select the best ukulele for your kid, there are several factors to put into consideration. Those factors have been also been detailed in this blog for your knowledge as a parent or guardian. As long as you religiously follow the instructions outlined in this blog on how to select the best ukulele, you would be glad you did. And, the end goal of ensuring kids improve their skills along the line will be seamlessly achieved.
Finding the right ukulele for your child depends on what style of play your child prefers. By focusing on an all-rounded ukulele that ticks all the boxes, you are allowing your child to have the best foundations on which to learn, boosting their enjoyment and confidence in a skill they can enjoy for the rest of their lives.